Croatian beaches are well frequented during the peak summer season.
When is the best time to embark on a family camping holiday in Croatia?Families with school-age children are generally forced to travel during the peak season in July and August, which is also the main period for beach holidays in Croatia, reflecting the hot, dry summer weather on the coast, while the water of the Adriatic reaches very comfortable bathing temperatures. Many of the campsites in Croatia also offer free children’s entertainment between mid-June and the end of August, so that the parents also have a chance to relax a bit. Due to the popularity of the campsites during the peak season, reservations are often necessary, sometimes even months in advance, and it is not unusual for the campsites to demand a deposit and/or a reservation fee.
The majority of the campsites in Croatian are right at the sea, and is often reflected in the price.
What does a family camping holiday in Croatia cost?Generally, Croatia is still one of the cheaper camping destinations in the Mediterranean - even though the prices have risen somewhat in recent years. According to the Croatian National Tourist Board, the price per day for a family of 3 on a campsite in Croatia is between 20 and 60 Euros. On average, the daily rate is 40 Euros, but there are a number of factors you can take into consideration that will ease the burden on your wallet when you are planning your camping holiday in Croatia. These include:
- Holiday time: The campsite fees are generally lower in the off-peak seasons.
- Location of the campsite: The region in Croatia is less important than the position of the campsite. The rule of thumb is: The closer the campsite is to the sea, the more expensive it will be. - Size and comfort level of the campsite: Of course, the campsite amenities and infrastructure play an important role in the pricing. Campsites with full amenities, including a children’s entertainment program, pool, modern sanitary blocks, etc. are more expensive than mini campsites with a more family atmosphere, which are also plentiful along the Adriatic coast of Croatia.
And, of course, you can also use the star-ratings of the individual campsites to help you decide. Freeontour has selected the top 5 family campsites in Croatia, based primarily on the extent of the services and infrastructure for families the campsites offer, for example the suitability of the beach for small children including, of course, the water quality:
1. The island of Krk: Krk Premium Camping ResortThe new family campsite, the Krk Premium Camping Resort, was established a few years ago on the island of Krk to replace the previous naturalist campsite Politin. It can be found at the water’s edge in a secluded area of the island, and offers a playground, miniclub with children’s entertainment, a pool and paddling pool, and family bathrooms and children’s toilets. And for the parents there is a range of sporting activities and spa facilities.
2. Istria: Lanterna Premium Camping ResortThe Lanterna Premium Camping Resort is the largest campsite in Istria. The pitches in the luxury plots are a princely 200 m². The modern family campsite is situated on the Lanterna peninsula, between Novigrad and Poreč and offers a wide range of family-orientated amenities and services. These include family bathrooms and children’s toilets, pool and paddling pool, water slide, children’s entertainment program, playgrounds, water park, etc. You can even book a babysitter if you need one.
3. The island of Cres: Campsite Bijar
If you’re looking for a family campsite without all the extras, then Campsite Bijar on the island of Cres is perfect for you. With only 49 pitches, this campsite is considerably smaller and cheaper than a lot of the others, but it still it offers family bathrooms, children’s toilets, a playground, children's entertainment and a range of other activities. However, the main aims of the campsite are to be near to nature and to maintain a friendly atmosphere. The nearby town of Osor offers a range of hiking routes and cycling tours.